From: "Joanna Lane" <jo-uk@rcn.com>
To: "Thomas Roessler" <roessler@does-not-exist.org>; "Joop Teernstra"
<terastra@terabytz.co.nz>
Cc: "James Love" <james.love@cptech.org>; "atlarge discuss list"
<atlarge-discuss@lists.fitug.de>
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 7:37 AM
Subject: RE: [atlarge-discuss] Re: Thomas Roessler proposes elimination of
current voting system for GA

> > To put it into friendly, capital letters: FOR THE GA, SECRET VOTES
> > DON'T MAKE SENSE.  > --
> > Thomas Roessler                        <roessler@does-not-exist.org>
>

> There's nothing friendly about DISENFRANCHISING VOTERS.
> You stand alone on this one Thomas. I don't hear anybody else shouting
about
> how abandoning secret ballots in the GA is a great idea, and you certainly
> don't have the mandate to change the GA's procedures without due process.
> Please STOP using the weight of your position to spread your personal
> agenda - the GA Chair should be neutral.

There is a bigger problem with this. The GA Chair by sheer placement as the
arbiter of the charter of the organization is clearly prevented in making
any changes to the charter and process that they were voted into support.
Even if the platform was about reform it is up to someone else to submit and
push those matters.

This in no way passes any sniff test, and that is for the chair to be
involved in any motions as other than this arbiter of integrity.

> Also, I certainly took the same meaning as Joop from your statement about
no
> At Large Structures. A less arrogant person would have responded to Joop
> that they didn't explain themselves clearly, but you, a person for whom
> English is a second language, would rather criticize and ridicule him for
> not understanding your English.

This last comment is a personal value judgment... That is the opinion stated
regarding the use of the word arrogant. And I disagree with that those types
of remarks belong here on this list at all.

>From my perspective, the issue is not your arrogance, that is a personal
matter. The real issue is whether you have violated the propriety of your
office by being involved with this motion in the way you are currently, and
I think that this is really all that is important here at this time.

If it turns out that this is a breach of propriety it will have to be dealt
with as such.

Todd