[atlarge-discuss] A proposed letter

Perhaps your organization might consider allowing your members to append
their names to this letter...

June 3, 2002

The Honorable Donald L. Evans
Secretary
Department of Commerce
1401 Constitution Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20230

Dear Secretary Evans:

We, the undersigned, are writing with respect to the Internet Corporation for
Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), with which the Department of Commerce has
a contract for performing certain limited technical coordinating functions
with respect to the Internet. We are deeply concerned about the most recent
proposal for structural change that has been released by ICANN's Committee on
Evolution and Reform.

While we understand that this plan has been posted for public review and is
scheduled for consideration by the Board at its upcoming meeting in June, we
seek to call your attention to the total lack of any reference to an At-Large
membership in this latest document.  Our primary interest in this matter is
ensuring that the stable and secure management of the global Internet domain
system will continue to rely upon "representation" as one of its four
cornerstone principles.

While ICANN has declared its commitment to these principles in its Bylaws, we
question whether its current reform proposals provide the type of appropriate
membership mechanisms that foster accountability to and representation of the
global and functional diversity of the Internet and its users.  The total
disenfranchisement of the At-Large community and the elimination of all
elections and At-Large directors was assuredly not that which was
contemplated by the Department.

We have concluded that ICANN is on a path that is no longer responsive to the
views of Internet stakeholders, and we call upon the good graces of your
Department to help return ICANN to its founding principles.

As members of the Internet user community, we place a value on
representational "balance" and seek to have the public interest afforded its
proper role in the reorganization of ICANN.  It is this public interest
component which will ensure the openness and transparency that we all seek in
the entity charged with the management of this key public resource.

We look forward to whatever assistance your Department might provide.

Respectfully,

Danny Younger