[atlarge-discuss] ALAC

Alejandro,

I appreciate the update on the efforts of the ERC posted at
http://www.icann.org/committees/evol-reform/status-report-15jul02.htm

Perhaps you would be in a position to give us a glimpse into the ERC's
thoughts regarding the At-Large Advisory Committee.  I will admit to being
suspicious of Board resolution language that is couched in phrases like
"consider the creation" or "potential vehicle", and would hope that your
thinking has progressed to the point where some mechanism "can" be
established to allow for necessary interaction with the At-Large community.

A whole lot of people are devoting tremendous amounts of energy
self-organizing at the request of the Board just for the opportunity to
provide informed and substantive input.  Just scroll through the list of the
846 current members of icannatlarge.com at
http://www.icannatlarge.com/view.php?sortorder=country  -- it reads like a
veritable Who's Who of the ICANN community.  These participants need to
believe that they will not be further shut out of the process now that their
formerly elected At-large directors will no longer have a role on the Board.

So, will there be a formal role for the At-Large, or has the Board
effectively killed it?  Will the ALAC be created, or not?  Compared to the
ALOC, what will this unit be doing?  Perhaps you can clear up some of these
questions.

I note that the ERC has convened task forces to offer guidance with respect
to naming and other issues... perhaps you might consider the same approach
for the At-large considerations...

hoping to hear from you soon,
Danny