Re: [atlarge-discuss] first question to all candidates

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 11:25:10 +1200, you wrote:

>Vittorio announced the following "panel rules" in the election announcement:

(which, by the way, were copied and pasted by the Charter for the previous
elections, which was approved by the previous panel - so, it's not anything
new, neither would I like to reopen debate on these details when we have to
set up an election in a week or so)

>>All decisions in the panel will be taken by explicit online vote on
>>the panel mailing list, called by the Chair and lasting at least two
>>days (unless a final result is reached before). Decisions will be
>>taken by majority of the non-abstaining votes expressed, provided that
>>at least five members of the panel expressed a vote.
>
>Please indicate your agreement or disagreement with
>
>1. the quorum of 5 out of 11
>
>(allowing a "majority" of 3 to dominate the decisionmaking after the others
>have been flamed away)
>
>2. the voting minimum term of 2 days.
>
>(allowing  railroading)

If you have a look at the panel list, I kept votes open for weeks, to allow
all panel members to participate (and even when doing this, sometimes I had
to close them before getting all votes). Of course, a malicious Chairman
could try to exploit this (as any other set of order rules) to force
decisions in his preferred direction, but again, the Chairman is elected by
the panel and can be removed by the panel with a majority vote at any time.

Said this, of course that provision is temporary. The final Bylaws will have
more carefully drafted rules. And I personally agree with Danny's idea of
regular online meetings for taking decisions.
--
.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo vb.
Vittorio Bertola     <vb@vitaminic.net>    Ph. +39 011 23381220

DISCLAIMER, PLEASE NOTE: This communication is intended only for use by the
addressee. It may contain confidential or privileged information.
Transmission, distribution and/or copy cannot be permitted. Please notify
immediately the sender by replying if you are not the intended recipient.