[atlarge-discuss] Re: [ga] icannatlarge.com (not at-large.org) STATUS: NOMINATIONS AND SECONDS

James and all stakeholders or other interested parties,

James Love wrote:

> A somewhat different perspective is that Esther and Denise created a site
> with a confusingly similar name, to run what one board member calls a
> "company union" to confuse and undermine participation in a democratic and
> uncontrollable at-large organizing effort.  The Esther/Denise effort has at
> the top of its web page the statement:
>
> "Overview ~ What is the At-Large? Individual Users' Voice in ICANN"

  I am surprised that either Esther or Denise should need to seek and
answer to this question given their participation on the ALSC.  But
perhaps, they didn't listen there very well, or only heard what they
already wanted to hear.  As Denise is a well known lobbyist
for SBC, such narrow thinking processes should not be too surprising to
consider or understand.

> THe "At-Large Organizing Committee" apparently does not elect its own
> leaders (correct me if I am wrong about this), and does not allow
> individuals to join, as individuals.

  Your not wrong.  And this is why it seems to be a purposeful attempt
to confuse stakeholders/users as well as the very organizations it
seeks to garner as members.  To me it looks like a structure for
a trade association that does not allow individual members much like
the recently revamped ISOC has become.

> It is ironic that an organization such as ICANN that was created to protect
> trademark owners from passing off activities on domain names, is resorting
> to this type of name confusion in the at-large area.   But it is working,
> and they they done a good job of marginalizing the democratic at-large
> organizing effort that they wanted to cripple.

  I cannot agree more...

> Jamie
>
> Vittorio Bertola wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 18:55:32 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:
> >

> >>But, what's icannatlarge.com all about, though? Is it recognized by
> >>anyone, especially given that there seems to be more than one competing
> >>"at large"?
> >

> > icannatlarge.com is an independent bottom-up effort that currently has
> > 886 members from 77 countries. Practically, we aim to build an org
> > that should supply for the lack of an At Large Membership and act,
> > inside and/or outside ICANN (and of course, whether it should be
> > inside, outside or both is at the centre of the debate), to grant to
> > the public some real weight in the technical administration of the
> > Internet.
> >
> > We have accepted to participate in ICANN's ALOC, where we have some
> > representatives, but of course we are an independent thing. I don't
> > really think that there is any "competing" effort to build a global At
> > Large Membership, as the other ALOC participants are organizations
> > which already existed and are not specifically targeted on ICANN
> > (though, as I said, some in our org would really like to extend its
> > action beyond ICANN), and are focused on specific geographical areas
> > (eg ISOC Chapters). And we still have to understand whether the
> > ALOC/ALAC thing will provide some worthwhile channel of interaction
> > with ICANN, even if very limited in actual power.
> >

> >>Given limited time, I'm a pragmatist and wouldn't want to waste energy
> >>on matters that are purely academic (unlike WLS, WHOIS, competition and
> >>other stuff, for instance, where input does seem to be having an
> >>impact).
> >

> > Of course the ultimate purpose of all this is to build something that
> > would be able to provide significant input into the policy making
> > process.
>
> --
> ------
> James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
> http://www.cptech.org, mailto:love@cptech.org
> voice: 1.202.387.8030; mobile 1.202.361.3040

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827