RE: [atlarge-discuss] a legitimate election?

Another generic post, resonding to this thread:

- Is this election going to be perfect?  No!  It won't even be close to
perfect until we have our own election system, hosted on our own domain, and
under the exclusive control of our elected officials.  This should in no way
be taken as critisism of the fine people who are graciously letting us use
their time and resources to conduct our elections.  I, for one, am very
grateful that people in and out of our organization who believe in our goals
have been willing to donate their online systems and their time!  Thank you!

- Has everyone done their level best to pull it off?  In my opinion, yes.
Remember, folks: like most of us (me, at least!), the people who built our
base infrasrtucture up in a mere three months have real jobs, family
commitments, and other obligations outside of their At Large challenges.
And yes (before the argument is made!), people who take on a task owe it as
much attention as possible.  But in retrospect, I suspect the tasks we gave
them, and the short suspense we gave them to do them, were unreasonable
expectations.  We shouldn't fault them if they stumbled a bit while trying
to move an imponderable weight at high speed!  In the future, we'll maybe
set a more liesurely pace!

Do we have to do better next time?  Certianly!  And I expect we will.

Finally, considering how disruptive some of them are prone to be, I
sometimes agree in spirit with Joanna's request to keep non-members from
posting, but I think doing so would be contrary to the openness we are
trying to institutionalize in our organization.  So I would have to disagree
with a closed forum.

However, to those non-members on the fringes sniping, we had a saying in the
Air Force: lead, follow, or get out of the way!   Right now we don't need
your complaints, condemnations, unsubstatiated allegations and personal
attacks (often based on their past history in other organizations!.  We *do*
need your encouragement and constructrive critisim.  And since you obviously
care enough about the future of the At Large to get emotionally involved in
the conversation here, we need your name on our membership roster!

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info
http://www.barelyadequate.info