Re: [atlarge-discuss] My rough proposals for the ALAC

Vittorio and all stakeholders or other interested parties,

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 14:20:47 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >Agreed, Vittorio. But how do we ascertain what our membership supports?
> >Do we take a vote on issues like this?
> >Do we just guess?
>
> Of course this really depends on the kind of organizational processes
> you want to make. Typically, some people favour indirect processes -
> ie, members elect the panel and then the panel takes decisions,
> involving members for general discussion, but actually having them
> vote only in very rare cases, for example Bylaws amendments - while
> other favour direct processes, in which membership is called to vote
> very often, even on "ordinary" issues of the organization. Indirect
> processes are usually simpler and more effective, but less open and
> more subject to capture; however direct processes are subject to
> capture too, especially if you have a very big membership who lacks
> the time and motivations to follow, understand and cast an informed
> vote on each specific issue that the organization has to cope with, so
> in the end you get very low turnouts in membership votes.

  The arguments of indirect vs direct with respect to voting on issues
has been vetted pretty well on the DNSO GA list on several occasions.
(See DNSO GA Archives for further info).

  In any event your last comment/statement is certainly questionable
Vittorio.  Very low turnout has many fathers, as they say.  But it is
clear that without even the opportunity for members to vote on issues
that they or some of them feel are directly important to them or
directly effect them should be provided for as a matter of
ethics...

> So I guess this will be a theme to discuss when drafting the Bylaws.
> --
> vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------

Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827