Re: [atlarge-discuss] ALOC archives?

At 04:08 a.m. 23/07/2002 -0400, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
>I am proud to already belong to one of them --
>the Internet Society (ISOC), NY chapter.

Danny,

Is Kevin Conolly still there in ISOC NY?

>Building a new organization, in my opinion, was just a well-orchestrated
>diversion planned by Esther Dyson to keep users occupied with a global
>democracy project so that they wouldn't devote their considerable energies to
>fighting ICANN at a time when it reduced the At-Large from a promised nine to
>zero.  That strategy worked very well as members of this group did little to
>nothing to protect the At-large or to fight for the At-Large.

How can the members 'fight" if they are not organized?

>In Bucharest, there were representatives of this group that instead of
>demonstrating defiance and abject horror at the abuses being inflicted by the
>ICANN Board decided instead to lick the boots of their masters and to remain
>silent.

These members were not elected to represent anyone. We need organization in
order to elect the members that we trust to speak for us.

>  I will not join a group that has so little regard for its own
>members that it fails to act aggressively in their best interest.

Just admit that you prefer to act alone.

>I have never been enamoured with the perceived need for an organizational
>response as opposed to individual initiatives.

We all  know that. :-)   We saw you acting on your own in Marina del Rey,
as GA chair, dropping the agenda with a  "let's go for a beer" , when an
organization was waiting to have its prepared statement read.

>   I have seen ACM, PFIR, CDT,
>CPSR, and others come out with "statements" that routinely are disregarded by
>the Board.  There is no "magic" in position papers put forward by various
>groups -- there is only the power of ideas that can as easily be articulated
>by individuals as by groups.

True. In both cases they are politely archived and used as "proof" that
ICANN encourages "input".

>While members of this group choose to spend their time organizing, I choose
>to spend my time fighting by writing directly to Vint Cerf and Alejandro
>Pisanty (whenever I believe they might be amenable to persuasion), and to
>Nancy Victory and Karen Rose (when it becomes clear that ICANN is just not
>listening).

Your privilege.  Much of your correspondence is excellent and can easily be
joined if you make it available for adhesion  signatures.

>If this group was prepared to launch a sustained fight at the highest levels
>with a commitment to engage the US Congress and the Department of Commerce in
>the attempt to curb ICANN abuses, then I might be tempted to join as a
>member.

Danny, the way this is done is to join as a member first, run for office
and persuade the others that this is the best course of action.

>  I view those groups as the only entities that can currently exercise
>any possible control over this Board-run-amok.  But as I have seen no
>indication that members within this body are prepared to participate in any
>such campaign to protect their own rights, I will not join your effort at
>this time.
>
>I respect what you are doing... I simply don't share your vision, your
>strategies or tactics.  You have a fine slate of candidates that can lead
>this group forward with more than enough North Americans already standing for
>election... you really don't need still one more.  Eventually this group
>might manage to do something (if you don't get bogged down in endless Charter
>discussions),

the "endless" charter discussions are unavoidable as long as there are
people who want to organize and others  who want to capture or prevent
self-organizing

>but I can't wait for you to get your act together as decisions
>on ICANN will be made prior to the expiration of its current MoU in
>September.

Organizing registrants and internet users that are affected by ICANN is a
long -term project.

Best wishes too,

--Joop