Re: [atlarge-discuss] Stuart writes to Nancy

At 02:52 23/07/02, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:
>When Nancy Victory recently wrote to Stuart Lynn, she requested:
>"Specifically, I would appreciate your clarification, by Friday, July
>26th, as to how the comments of the various supporting organizations and
>advisory committees in Bucharest will be taken into account..." The recent
>response from Stuart Lynn posted at
>http://www.icann.org/correspondence/icann-to-doc-19jul02.htm doesn't
>really seem to answer this question, does it?

I note that Stuart rightly lists the need of representation of the entire
Internet community, but from then on the community he considers is only the
"ICANN community" he never defines. Always the difficulty to adapt from the
.arpa closed subnetwork management (IANA functions purchased from the NTIA)
to the net keeping service of a worldwide open system.

His only legitimacy would be the worldwide consensus he looks for near that
sole "ICANN community". Technically this is an "usurpation" and the summary
of the whole @large issue.

Why, once for all, would the NTIA and ICANN not accept that they are
managing the .arpa namespace delegated in 1983 by the International
community (under FCC licence for the US part) to relate with the ccTLDs and
with every commonly accepted other sub-namespace  (cf. RFC-920)?

jfc
Chair, france@large