[atlarge-discuss] Candidate Statement, Hans Klein

[This is a re-send, but the earlier post may have been premature.  - HK]

Hans Klein
Candidate for the ICANNatlarge.com Panel
=================================

I am Chairman of the Board of Computer Professionals for Social
Responsibility (www.CPSR.org), a mass-membership, public interest
organization in Internet-related issues.  Within CPSR I direct the Civil
Society Democracy Project (www.CivSoc.org), which is dedicated to promoting
user representation in ICANN.  I am also Assistant Professor of Public
Policy at the Georgia Institute of Technology (www.spp.gatech.edu) in
Atlanta (USA), where I research Internet democracy, Internet governance,
and government programs to develop technical systems.  My personal home
page is at: http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~hk28/

My goal in serving on the ICANNatlarge.com Panel is to uphold the 1998
terms of Internet privatization.  ICANN was supposed to be an organization
in which industry and users together made decisions about Internet
policies.  Since ICANN's inception, however, industry groups established
themselves on the board and have changed the bylaws to weaken and then
eliminate authentic user representation.  Today, the name "ICANN" is
synonymous with just the industry subset of the Internet community.  In the
words of Lawrence Lessig, ICANN has been captured by industry.

Internet privatization can still be salvaged.  Users need to articulate
their perspective to the groups that currently govern ICANN. Users also
need to express their support to the US Dept. of Commerce for its 1998
policy of Internet privatization, which promoted balance of interests in ICANN.

If elected to the ICANNatlarge.com Panel, I will work to
** develop a collective voice for users
** develop specific user positions
** work for globally equitable governance

I have been active in ICANN processes since 1998.  My activities include:
** analyzing competing proposals for the ICANN bylaws in 1998
** participating in most ICANN meetings since 2000
** publishing the Cyber-Federalist newsletter

I also strongly support the candidacy of Jamie Love.

Hans Klein