RE: [atlarge-discuss] Latin America and Africa

> You're right, of course: in the absence of means to provide
> more positive contributions, simply preventing others with
> specific agendas from hijacking the Internet by technical
> means would be an important contribution.

Not by technical means, but by political means that have to be publicly
supported.

> Agreed ... though I am still of the opinion that a purely
> technical/administrative goal is unlikely to receive
> sufficient support from a worldwide "at large" public to
> generate a worldwide democracy.
>
> I think an organization with that goal would do better to
> focus its attention on recruiting activists from the existing
> technical communities already involved in the open source,
> anti-DMCA, etc. issues who could more easily comprehend why
> DNS management is sociopolitically sensitive and contribute
> the expertise needed for that type of governance.

Think of technical and administrative DNS function as an inner core,
surrounded by layers and layers of political and public protection whose
only job is to keep the capture hounds at bay, away from that inner core.

Judith Oppenheimer
http://JudithOppenheimer.com
http://ICBTollFreeNews.com
http://WhoSells800.com