[atlarge-discuss] Canadian Consultation paper/process on: Reforms to theInternet Corporation for Assigned Names & Numbers (ICANN)

This is what the Canadian government is putting forward in its position paper, which is subject to modification as a result of the public consultation:

>4. Directors
>
>With regard to the make-up of the Board, it is the suggested Canadian position that government appointees should NOT sit on the Board of Directors. However, Canada suggests that the Chair of the GAC sit as an ex officio non-voting member of the Board.
>
>The Chair of the GAC would be the only non-voting director. The other twelve directors would be voting directors. Having the Chair of the GAC as a voting member may unduly constrain the Chair. For example, the Chair may be put in an awkward situation where there is no consensus within the GAC on a particular issue and the Chair is expected to vote. As an ex officio director, the Chair could play an important role by bringing information to the Board regarding issues which have been deliberated by the GAC. Since it is not reasonable to expect that one person can represent the interests of all governments represented in the GAC and vote on their behalf, the role of the Chair would be to provide information and shed light on the many issues which come before the Board.
>
>One director should be elected or appointed from each of ICANN's five affiliate groups, as outlined above (ccTLDs, gTLD registrars and registries, RIRs and Root Server Operators). The Chair of the proposed Technical Committee (see ICANN: A Blueprint for Reform) and the President/CEO of ICANN would also be voting directors.
>
>The At-Large Study Committee's proposal to elect at-large directors online, perhaps with domain name holders as the electorate, is worthy of consideration. However, many concerns have been raised regarding the feasibility of online elections. If online elections are not currently feasible, the ICANN Board should report back periodically-at least annually-on any change in the status of their feasibilty. In the interim, the establishment of a Nominating Committee is an acceptable solution for nominating the five remaining directors.
>
>In the longer term, Canada is supportive of five directors being at-large directors elected by domain name holders in on-line elections. Although there is a concern that seats will be "captured" with online elections, the combination of having a Nominating Committee and regional representation should diminish the likelihood of capture. As for having domain name holders as the electorate, this electorate would be broadly based and would represent both users and business interests. Domain name ownership is a reasonable "threshold" for validating voters.

I haevn't written my commentary yet but, needless to say, one of the items I will comment on is the likelihood that a small ICANN-owned Nominating Committee to name the directors who will theoretically represent an electorate which may one day be allowed to vote if the ICANN Board ever decides to let them.

Anyway, I feel strongly that online voting will be feasible even at the present state of technology if
a) there is a suitable method of voter identification (more easily done at this point for domain name owners but hardly impossible otherwise if a PIN-plus-password system is used and requires e-mail confirmations which do not contain both)
b) there is provision for multiple servers to handle the surge of traffic during a short voting period (under the control of a neutral authority, not the ICANN Board itself, of course)
c) there is a mechanism whereby once the prospective voter's identity has been confirmed, the e-ballot itself carries no personal identification and/or is suitably encrypted
d) there is a good formula for vote-counting (under appropriate neutral scrutiny and possibly along the lines of what was used in ICANN's At Large 2000 elections.

I'm not a died-in-the-wool geek but, on the basis of what I've read, I think  all of those components do exist and the obstacles to such elections are more in the nature of reluctance to spend the money on enfranchising ordinary mortals or not understanding that one can set up the process on a secure (non-Microsoft) server, not ask for ballots as Word attachments, and use a filter to keep Klez and Sircam from clogging up the system if they try to vote. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Regards,

Judyth

<< start of forwarded material >>