RE: [atlarge-discuss] FW: [Richard Henderson 1.2] Challenge from Ross Rader -...

Now that I've read the link Danny graciously pointed me to . . .

I'm of two minds on this issue.  Internally, I'm against bogus Whois
entries.  It's important to be able to know who is "manning the switches" on
a Web site for a great many reasons.  But I'm *totally* against making that
information readily accessable, particularly to government entities without
a court order.  Anonymous speech is one of the cornerstones of a free
society, but currently impossible under  the current Whois.  I'm for full,
complete Whois data.  But I'm also for protecting it from everyone except
the guy or gal maintaining the database, unless a search warrant is
forthcomming!  That especially includes the registrar's marketing wonks!

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info
http://www.barelyadequate.info