[atlarge-discuss] growing frustration

> The greatest number of our members I will wager do not have the time nor
> the inclination to follow the voluminous discussions and endless threads
> here on any given issue. I see no reason not to keep them enfranchised by
> summarizing issues PRO and CON right on a ballot!
>
> While democracy may challenge us to stay informed on issues one of the
> abuses of “democracy” is inundating, innocently or complicitously,
> citizens with gobbledeegook until they go away or fall asleep, and
> miss the actual voting entirely!

Well said.

I am pondering what was more frustrating: the way in which the
at-large-elections were slowly but steadily pushed out of the normal ICANN procedures, or
the "endless threads here on any given issue" here.

Any opinion why the membership is still only 988, and is in this range since
a long time, though it had grown in the first couple of weeks from 0 to
about 700?

I still keep my address footer calling to join ICANN At Large at
www.icannatlarge.com  at the end of every mail I write, always hoping we get back to the
dynamic start we had around the Ghana meeting. Because I hope we can make an
impact on the further development of ICANN as democratically controlled
organization. But if we do not move in a way which can be understood by many -
not only by the frequent posters on this list - we will be irrelevant. That is
what those who abolished the at-large-elections wanted anyway.

Norbert

--
Norbert Klein
Open Forum of Cambodia: www.forum.org.kh