RE: [atlarge-discuss] Rehttp://www.fitug.de/atlarge-panel/0209/msg00035.html

Comments interspersed below.
Joanna

I don't follow the logic. Why would members be more concerned that an
elected panel member know their vote than an ordinary member who is not
elected? How do the electorate benefit from  elected representatives being
deliberately denied access to information about the will of those who
elected them?

And aside from that political issue, there is a utility issue - keeping the
lines of communication open to the Panel - someone involved in the count
needs to have posting privileges to the Panel list to keep the rest of us
updated on any difficulties that may arise. Were this a vote on the
selection of the Panel members themselves, of course that raises a conflict
of interest issue, but on this vote, I just don't get it.

> Each of the ballot-receipt trustees need to pledge in post statements to
> this list their oaths signifying they will not disclose TO ANYONE, except
> each other, the contents of any ballots other than the votes themselves!

That goes without saying, but for the avoidance of doubt, I pledge.

> The votes should also be presented to the membership in their “raw” form*
> along with the tabulated totals. Interested members will be able
> to compute
> the final totals and members’ selected choice for themselves for
> comparison
> with the ballot receivers.

This is dependant upon voluntary effort - it's no small job to comply with
this request. All email addresses must be stripped from any "raw" data,
together with a direct correlation between a member's name and the vote they
cast. What I would hope to see is a list of names of those who actually cast
a vote, although I would not expect to see a list of those who did not cast
a vote.

> Spreadsheets anyone?

I suggest you talk to Walter Schmidt, he's the spreadsheet King...:-)

> >If a name is favored whereby all possible defensive registrations are
> >secured, the inclusion of the TLD is not as significant as a
> name that has
> >none of the other TLD versions available, in which case,
> reference to the
> >name without the TLD extension would point the casual observer
> to another
> >domain altogether.
>
> Point taken.
>
> >Note#5. The "Pros and Cons" suggested for inclusion in the ballot
> >represent opinions rather than facts. It would therefore not be
> >appropriate to include these opinions on the actual ballot paper, but
> >there may be other ways this information can be disseminated to the
> >electorate. Suggestions please.
>
> I would disagree in principle here, BUT do see an alternative for this
> occasion.
>
> My disagreement goes to our needing to grow sophisticated, if in fact we
> are not already and not merely in presumption, in our elections
> and balloting.

Let me narrow the area of disagreement to a hair's breadth. My objection is
not on principal but on procedure. We will still be here at Christmas trying
to agree the text of the ballot paper if it is to include opinions. As an
organization, I don't think we're suffiently mature on this occasion.

> The greatest number of our members I will wager do not have the time nor
> the inclination to follow the voluminous discussions and endless threads
> here on any given issue. I see no reason not to keep them enfranchised by
> summarizing issues PRO and CON right on a ballot!
>
> While democracy may challenge us to stay informed on issues one of the
> abuses of “democracy” is inundating, innocently or
> complicitously, citizens
> with gobbledeegook until they go away or fall asleep, and miss the actual
> voting entirely!
>
> This is unacceptable to me!
>
> Just as speeches are given in parliaments pro and con before
> every vote, so
> it could be in summary form on our balloting. Let the chief PRO proponent
> lead the “pro’s” in composing THE ballot pro statement, and the chief CON
> proponent lead the “con’s” in composing THE ballot con statement.
>
> I refuse to accept the all too easily and thoughtlessly held common view
> that the “average person,” the “reasonable person,” cannot intelligently
> vote on anything they have not dedicated umpteen hours of their lives to
> studying. This view is elitist and oligarchic.
>
> I volunteer to spearhead the alternative for this occasion I allude to
> above. I am prepared to accept exactly the kind of “PRO” and “CON”
> statements I describe above regarding each balloted name for
> publication of
> the most timely post to coincide with the issuance of the
> ballots, as well
> as repeated posting in advance.

Please do! We could also include a hyperlink from the ballot to a specific
section of the website forum dedicated to "Pros and Cons" to which you and
others may wish to post position statements. Please advise URL when you have
it.

> No member of this organization, unless they are truly already dead, will
> then have claim to have been uninformed of the “debate” on the various
> proposed names! Or in the affirmative, those that may wish to inform
> themselves will have a ready, easy, efficient mechanism for doing so!

Point taken.
Thanks you for your thoughtful response.
Joanna

> I call upon viewholders, in concert, to well-compose their views
> and E-mail
> them to me for assembly and timely publication, organized along the lines
> of my previously submitted sample ballot.
>
> /s/ Joey Bordo

> Thursday, September 05, 2002 * 9:34 AM EDT USA
>

> * Raw Form of IRV (i.e. & e.g.):
>
> ...Votes cast for/as.........[1]....[2]....[3]....[4]....[5]
> ... ATLARGE.ORG............20.....15.....30....05.....01
> ... ICANNATLARGE.ORG...05.....09.....15....10.....07
>
> ...and so on and so on...
>
> =====
> .........Everyone, PLEASE JOIN me and all our un-esteemed colleagues
> ............for purely mindless fun at Café ByteMe & Playground!
> ..
> ...........................--- Anytime at: ---
> ..
> ......................*** Café ByteMe & Playground ***
> ..
> ..............We serve the Best Beverages & Bytes on the planet!
> ..........."Non-sense" only spoken here -- THE Universal Language. ;-)
> ..
> Café Impressario & Maestro Joey Borda’s Yahoo!Messenger ID:
> starwalkeratgaydotcom
> ..
layground/
.........http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WorldAtLarge_ByteMe_Cafe_Playground/