[atlarge-discuss] Posting rules

Regarding this post from Ron Sherwood:

Beware the backlash of making rules that limit posts.
    5 might seem like a good number today, but the list may lose valuable input in time of debate on important subjects.
    My auto junkmail file shows that JW averaged less than 6 posts per day over the past 5 months (852 total).
    Message rules are the best solution, with concerned list members
expressing reasoned opinions as to how and when to use them.
    The right to freedom of speech includes the right not to listen to
vapid, egotistical, verbose and inane commentary on what more enlightened people have to say.
Ron

Hello Ron:

One can appreciate your intelligent defense for non-censorship.
However, all societies appear to have some procedures in place
to protect the general population from the crazies.
We are not talking about censoring those that happen to disagree with us.
We are talking about those few that do not know when to stop.
We are talking about those that argue for argument’s sake.
We are talking about those few that will see the color red and “defend”
their right to call it black and abuse you for differing.
Sorry, but we have certain rights too, to cushion ourselves from those
 that do not, or will not, allow us to function.
I welcome those that are contrary.  I welcome those that view from
the other side of the fence.  But, I will not condone stupidity, obstinacy, and lack of manners.  Or bald faced liars.

I know it is a touchy subject but we still need to curb some of the
zombi that stumble around us.  Filters will not do it.  Only an organization
that follows Roberts Rules of Order (or Internet comparable version) will
survive this mantic assault.  We need to take responsibility for those that are
not able to take responsibility for themselves.  It is a tough decision but it
is the only way we are going to be able to keep those that operate on the fringe
from distorting what we are trying to accomplish.

After having said that I patiently, and with absolve, await the avalanche
of porno email subscriptions and get-rich-via-the-Internet newsletters
that will come pouring into my honest email address from you know who.

Regards,

Micheal Sherrill