Re: [atlarge-discuss] FYI: VERISIGN TAKES STEPS TO PROTECT ROOT SERVERS

On 21:24 07/11/02, espresso@e-scape.net said:
I guess it's naive of me to wonder why the two servers wouldn't have been placed in separate locations before the hack attack -- it's not as if power outages were that uncommon, after all
Dear Judyth,
power outages are not the real issue - unless there is a real crisis (for example last year Presidential Warning about Three Miles Islands: that could have mean a power havoc for a long time creating real problems). The real issue is were they are on the backbone.

What is extremely interesting is that rihgt now we have two K root servers in real life environement. They did not moved the machine, they duplicated it planning to remove the old K, now the Kbis., at a latter stage. So the root actually has 14 machines....

One should decide if the root system can be or not duplicated (this is now the case: 13 + 1) and if this is secure or not (the second root is implemented for ... security reasons).

In a few days/weeks we will see a few others root systems implemented ... to respond to the dot-root project. The target is to test if it is possible to accustom the ISPs to an USG root system multiplicty so they do not think there could also be a multiple country multiplicity (dot-root test bed).
jfc