From: Stephen Waters [mailto:swaters@amicus.com]
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 11:40 AM
To: jkhan
Cc: At-Large Discussion List
Subject: Re: [atlarge-discuss] "IPv6 & ICANN is..."

I guess I don't see why 3rd world countries are required to roll out
Internet technology in the same way that, e.g., the U.S. does (i.e.,
wires in every home, business, etc.). I recently heard about (on _Living
on Earth_ on NPR) some villages being lit with very low power LEDs
running on pedal power. Would it really surprise you if they skipped the
Big Hardware Model and went directly to, say, Internet Cafe Model,
Library Model, Community Wireless Model, or something else?

I mean, heck, we've all heard about Eastern Europe and former Soviet
states who went from having no telephone service to wireless phones
everywhere. Our Center for Battered Women takes donations of phones.
Maybe ATT, Motorola, etc. could get a tax break for donating old phones,
towers, etc. to the 3rd world?

So, then you get some towers in place. They need to be solar powered of
course. I don't know how long it would take to pedal a charge to a cell
battery, though... :/   still, if they've got a TV, like in your
example, then they can charge a phone battery to send email. Maybe they
could figure out how to turn all those arial antennas into wireless
repeaters? I'm not a radio guy, though, so I don't know.

Anyway, I'm just saying that when there's technology, demand, and
industrious thinking, someone will find a solution. When IPs became
ridiculously expensive for home networking, the market responded with
Linux and BSD support for IP masquerading and soon hardware devices
followed. Speaking of Linux, I believe the IPv6 implementation in 2.6
will support encapsulation over IPv4 (among other things).

So assuming our implementation relies entirely on donated, unwanted
hardware from the U.S., the primary costs are:

  . shipping said hardware
  . expertise in installing and maintaining the system
  . electricity
  . international connectivity (probably through a coalition of States)

If you've got the electrical infrastructure in place and governmental
stability, it doesn't seem such a difficult project for a motivated
group.

Am I way off-base?
-s