Re: [atlarge-discuss] Dow Chemical Shuts Down TenantNet and Hell'sKitchen

Hi Danny,

Thanks for drawing this to my attention.

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that allegations of illegal
behavior are not -- or at least, should not be -- sufficient grounds for
contract termination or arbitrary suspension of service. ISPs, or any
company, really, should not be able to terminate service unless they pay
an early cancellation fee (just like customers! what a thought!) or buy
out the rest of the contract.

Consequently, a customer "bill of rights" or standard minimum contract
practices might be useful. I'd rather it not have to rely on gov't
regulations (for a variety of reasons), but if they don't get their act
together, it may come to that. So, yeah, ISPs should work together for
their own and for their customers' long-term interests.

Does ICANN touch on this issue? Insofar as domain name trademark issues
are concern, I'd say "probably". I have in mind the DOW-CHEMICAL.COM
domain case. Insofar as the overall "stability" of the domain system is
concerned, I'd say "probably" because ensuring At-Large members et al.
can access the content at DOW-CHEMICAL.COM reliably falls under their
claim. (One would think ICANN would fall squarely on the side of
DOW-CHEMICAL.COM and its content viewers...) But ICANN doesn't seem to
have any direct power over ISPs.

$0.02USD,
-s