Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: Recordings of Amsterdam Meetings and PROPOSAL

What is the point of being "part" of that structure, if you know the Board
will overrule you, if you know the Board has already kicked you out of the
Boardroom, if you know that the Board is determined to resist democratic
representation, if you know the Board has a track record of favouring a
small coterie of Big Business interests, if you know the Board wants to
marginalise you, if you know the Board is cynical and manipulative, if you
know the Board is opposed to the primary goal of the At Large?

You say the At Large *has* to be part of the "structure" to influence
events...

Firstly, that structure has been set up to support and protect industry
insiders and the trademark lobby, and to defend their interests against the
rest of the world and its democratic claims to have a decisive role in the
governance of the Internet. The structure is *wrong* and is loaded against
the Internet User constituency. Participation in a *wrong* and *negative*
structure, imposed top-down and without democratic accountability, will
merely help perpetuate the bias against ordinary users.

Secondly, you are incorrect to imply that the At Large would have less
influence if it organised and mobilised *outside* the ICANN structure. Why
on earth shouldn't it? It is *far* bigger than ICANN and should ultimately
replace it. It is the biggest constituency of all, consisting of hundreds of
millions of ordinary users who lay claim to the internet, possess the
internet, and make the internet what it is. It will be far clearer and far
more influential if the At Large movement mobilises under an umbrella
*outside* ICANN and creates clear water between ICANN and themselves. It
will be far clearer if the At Large movement *REPUDIATES* Icann (and all its
machinations, bias, tricks and deceit).

Sorry Esther, but you seriously expect people to "trust" Icann and its
Board? You've got to be joking.

Time and time and time again, you urge people (basically) to just "accept"
their diminished position as a powerless subordinate in this "wonderful"
Icann structure which preserves Internet governance in the hands of a few
rather than in te hands of the people.

It's a trick, Esther.

You just don't want the *democratic* version.

The internet exists for millions of individuals, not just for a small number
of industry suppliers. One person, one vote - and let the internet users of
the world determine the future shape of THEIR net, not the tiny fraction of
people who are making a living from the process of DNS supply.

I repeat, the ICANN structure is deliberately constructed to protect vested
interests. The At Large should not legitimise that structure. The At Large
should develop its own coalition of sympathetic groups and individuals,
under an independent umbrella which is very clearly independent of ICANN and
a repudiation of it.

The claims of the At Large are too big to be met by ICANN's imposed
structure and agenda.

That's the bottom line.

That's the 'realpolitik'.

Regards -