[atlarge-discuss] FYI: Network Solutions is back

[from Edupage]

VERISIGN CREATES NEW NETWORK SOLUTIONS
Three years after it acquired Network Solutions, VeriSign has recreated
the company as a separate but wholly owned subsidiary. Network
Solutions, which controls more than nine million Internet domain names,
will include the registrar operations and Web and e-mail services.
VeriSign will continue to operate the registry, which sells domain
names to other registrars. Some observers had speculated that VeriSign
would sell Network Solutions, but, although a sale remains a
possibility, the company will work to make necessary adjustments to
succeed, according to Champion Mitchell, the president of Network
Solutions. Mitchell said that certain problems had been caused at
VeriSign by a lack of understanding among some employees about how to
function after the end of the monopoly the company had held. "Those
people," he said, "are no longer with us."
CNET, 6 January 2003
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-979205.html

[Reader letter to NewsScan Daily]

MAILBAG: THE WORLD AS WE FIND IT

TRUE SIGN OF TRUST?
Re: http://www.newsscan.com/cgi-bin/findit_view?table=newsletter&id=7412
      Regarding "Sex.Com Ruling Could Open Floodgates on Registry
Lawsuits," I just read another article, which describes VeriSign's
plans to
spin off Network Solutions. I'd guess that the lawsuit was a very large
part of the reason for the split. I'm not sure if the split will allow
them
to insulate VeriSign financially from the lawsuit, but it would help
protect the VeriSign brand name. I mean: customers who read news
reports
about a 'sex.com' lawsuit, 'stolen domain names', and 'fraud' would
probably not place as much trust in the VeriSign brand which is all
about
building an unquestioning trust in the consumers' mind for VeriSign's
digital certificates that are used to authenticate that an e-business
site
really is who they say they are. (See VeriSign splits off domain
registrar," CNET News.com, Jan 6, 2003, http://shorl.com/hukunuletuvy.)
I've been a loyal NewsScan reader since you began. Thank you so much.
(John
Suess)

Judyth Mermelstein     "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC           <espresso@e-scape.net>