Re: [atlarge-discuss] Some Simple Facts...

Bruce and all stakeholders/users and At-Large members,

Bruce Young wrote:

> A general response to this thread:
>
> 1.  Sotiris' call for "new elections" won't solve anything.  In fact, it
> will only delay theings as the new people come up to speed.  The problem
> isn't the current leadership, it's what I see is an unwillingness on the
> part of certian members to allow them to lead!

  This is of course utter nonsense.  Good, responsive and effective
leadership of a membership based organization such as ICANNATLARGE.ORG
follows the members lead, not lead it's members...

> Every substantive proposal
> made in the last six months -- which were usually based on a concensus of
> inputs made on this list -- has been vocally rejected for one reason or
> another, usually by those other than the ones providing the original inputs!

  This is not accurate Bruce.  Most of the proposals that the Panel have
put forward, had little or no consensus from the members or were
even crafted around comments and concerns expressed by the
members.  In addition, consensus can only be known if it can be
measured.

> We need to set up a process where we call for comments for a set period of
> time, collate those comments into a proposal (or several proposals if
> opinion is split), and submit them to the membership for approval.

  This is one way of accomplishing determining consensus and moving
forward.  I called for this long ago, offered to help set up a voting
system by which this could get underway.  The Panel just sat on it.

>  This
> requires active, *postitive* involvement on the part of the membership.  In
> other words, tell us what you want, not just what you don't like!

  Been done.

> 2.  I like David Farrar's idea to hit up registriers, registrars and ccTLDs
> for funding!

  If we can hit up the ccTLD's registrants and those sites customers, than
yes this is a great idea.  It has been suggested before however...

> 3.  I don't disagree with Richard and others that ICANN's regional At Large
> structure is wrong, and a (in my opinion intentional!) poor fit for our
> organization.  And even thought I continue to urge we cooperate with it for
> appearances sake, I also see no hope of anything substantive coming out of
> the RALO process.  However, ICANN's RALO process should not be confused with
> calls by Jefsey and Richard for local and/or regional At Large outreach
> activities.  One of the most effective ways we can build our membership is
> by current members working locally to spread the At Large message: attending
> meetings of existing interest groups, calling meetings of our own, engaging
> the local press, etc.  Such activities will necessitate, as a minimum, a
> loose local organization to coordinate them.  This local organization
> needn't detract from the national group.  Rather, it can extend the reach of
> our message into the locality!  If we're to be truely bottom-up, these local
> groups are the bottom!  But as Richard points out, for these local groups to
> be effective, they need to be a subsidiary of the global organization.  The
> two feed off each other.

  The RALO of ICANN is a canard...