Re: [atlarge-discuss] Joop's poll

At 10:15 p.m. 4/02/2003, J-F C. (Jefsey)  Morfin wrote:

This also leads me to think that this proposition is not mature enough and should not be repeated as such. I was in favor of asking Joop to run votes for us. I am afraid that I could not before my basic demands are addressed :

1. the boot must be served by at least 5 trusted polling officers. Joop acting as the technical owner. Trustees have not to be elected (minorities must be represented so they may make sure their rights are respected). They have to be nominated and endorsed.
I think it is practicable to have a 3 person Polling Commission, in charge of formulating the questions and reply options. 5 is more than needed.

2. any member with a minimum seconding must be permitted to get a question in a monthly poll.
Agree.

3. major poll (not vote) on the future of the organization must go through the panel for editing. The point being that questions are wrote in clear internationally understandable English and in a balanced enough way so every opinion at stake is represented.
An elected Polling Commission, not the current leftover of the Panel.

4. the Members will receive a "click and vote" mail containing an URL for them to vote, without pasting names and keywords. This calls for very minor development. I asked Joop the necessary elements so it could be included in this poll, I did not receive them yet.

This is not a "minor development" as it needs to be tested on all possible combinations of User machines. It has to work on Windozers, Linux boxes and Mac's running Netscape and all sort of other and older browsers. It also could diminish security and create more sabotage options.
Javascript for a login procedure should be avoided.
Pasting email and Password is the simplest solution that works on the lowest common denominator machines and software. Voters are more than willing to go through such a minor step.
To indefinitely delay a Poll that so many have been crying for in order to do a "luxury" development would be wrong.
Focusing on the quality of the Questions is far more important for us.

-joop-