[atlarge-discuss] "Out of Pocket"/Election status

bruce@barelyadequate.info wrote:

> I would ask Judyth and Jan for a status report, as keepers of the list, to
> update us on where we are on getting the election off the ground.

"Out of Pocket."

This is a phrase that folks at my office use to identify the condition of
being on travel, i.e. away from the office.

So there are no surprises - I'll be "out of pocket" on business travel
starting the 10th of March, returning late on the 14th.  I'll try to keep
current with my e-mail (as now :-) ) until then; but in the usual way, it may
take me a couple of days to empty my in-box after my return.

Election Status.

Judyth if she cares to will report separately, we haven't been attempting to
generate a coordinated "status report."  Instead, she and I have been using
this list to report events as they happen.  I am in possession of the
icannatlarge mailing list as received from Vittorio Bertola, as is Judyth,
and am awaiting the results of her straw poll regarding the disposition of
the list.  In the meantime I have been comparing it with the mailing list
maintained by Joop Teernstra on the icannatlarge.com website.  Both lists
consist of over a thousand entries and I have not attempted to compare them
item by item.  (That is a process that should be automated, by someone
possessing the tools.)  Both lists are apparently chronological, though
neither has a date field (in the form I have received them).

It is important to note that the vast majority of entries appear to agree
letter-for letter, as expected.  However, the numbers of entries do not
agree.  Within the first ~one hundred entries, each list has a few random
names that the other lacks.  If my sampling is representative, overall there
might be from twenty to as many as a hundred such "randomly" unduplicated
names/addresses.  Apart from that, Vittorio's list ends with 30 entries
beyond the end of Joop's list.  In my opinion, there is no a priori reason to
discriminate against any of the unduplicated entries.  The full list of
icannatlarge members, when compiled from both lists, will be somewhat over
1100 entries.  I can (given time) compile a complete list of the
*unduplicated* entries.

However, I lack the tools to create a combined master list, ready for use for
mass mailing (perhaps Judyth can?).  Nor can I perform a mass mailing, even
if the combined list were in my possession.  Those tasks may have to be borne
by others.