RE: [atlarge-discuss] what most members want

At 01:38 p.m. 1/04/2003, you wrote:
This is no reflection on Joop's poll, but less than 10% of our membership is
not a ringing endorsement of anything.  We need to have a real election, in
which a significant number of our 1000+ members actually respond.
That is not going to be easy, if the only place of activity is this trolled mailing list.
An election of candidates that nobody knows jack about, for office that nobody knows the mandate of ...., do you think it will get more participation than questions about structure that are a lot easier to answer?

BTW, what do you consider a "significant number" before you dismiss an election result as "educational"?

Polls are educational, but cannot take the place of an actual election when
setting policy for this group, unless a clear majority of our members
participate.
*Participation* by 500 members is an unrealistic expectation to put it mildly.
Laying out structure is an attempt to bring order into chaos, now made by the 99 or so most interested members.

What the structure ends up to be is less important than *having* an undisputed structure (after 13 months of achieving nothing).
Such structure could also have been proposed by 5 good willing bottom-up members, but 99 is a lot better.

*Policy setting* is done by the elected members who will be elected into that structure, each with specific mandate.

-Those who profess to believe in direct democracy pass the real test when they disagree with a result, but still respect it.-

-joop