RE: [atlarge-discuss] Last Man Standing

Ron Sherwood wrote:

| What is needed is a structure that permits members to make
| their views known
| and debated in open forum, while leaving the administrative
| panel free to
| get on with the duties associated with their office.  As long
| as any member
| is permitted to criticize every action of every officer every day, and
| expect instant responses and immediate course changes (often
| with demands
| for resignation if the panelist fails to respond), we will
| never have a
| panel that can achieve anything.

Indeed.

| Ergo, immersion in the daily dialog is counterproductive to
| the performance
| of panel tasking.

Agreed.  That is why I often have held myself back from commenting on any
Discuss list posts that aren't gernmain to the tasks at hand.

| Surely we can create a structure that permits the panel (or
| an appointed
| panel member) to promote adopted policy on any given issue.
| All it needs is
| for any group of members to discuss any particular issue in
| open forum,
| agree on one of their number to relate their consensual
| viewpoint to the
| panel, and be clear enough in their policy decision for its
| merits to be
| discussed in a forum limited to dialog between the issue
| presenter and the
| panel.

Yes.  But I would go farther and say that this should be the primary use for
our Working Groups: to focus on a single topic (bylaws, for instance!), take
inputs from the membership, collate them, and propose them to the Panel for
action.  The panel takes WG inputs, discusses them, rewords them if
necessary, and presents them to the membership for a vote.

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon
bruce@barelyadequate.info
http://www.barelyadequate.info