Re: [atlarge-discuss] Last Man Standing

Well put, Bruce - see my comments interspersed below.

bruce@barelyadequate.info wrote:

> Danny Younger wrote:
>
> | As you go into this nomination cycle, ask yourself if you
> | would ever elect
> | anyone that hasn't bothered to participate on this discussion list...
>
> As ususual, Danny, you continue to advocate from outside.  It would be nice
> to finally see your name on our membership list.  Or is it that you
> subscribe to Mark Twain's idea that you would never belong to a group that
> would have yourself as a member?!  :)

Groucho Marx actually.  Reference: Microsoft Bookshelf 1994 edition.  (Which
is not to say that Groucho didn't get the remark from reading Mark Twain.
:-)   )  And speaking of entertainment - did you see the film "Becket?"  King
Henry loved to take horseback wenching rides through the forest accompanied
by his best friend Thomas a Becket.  On one such ride he has a brilliant
idea:  "Thomas: today I'll have you ordained as a priest.  Tomorrow, to
bishop.  The day after, to archbishop."

Aware of that parallel, I suggest that Danny join our group today, so he can
be nominated tomorrow!

> But regardless of who gets elected, we need to have a body of *members*
> willing to step up, join working groups, and produce. We've had many
> meembers willing to criticize the ideas of others to the level of minutia,
> without presenting positive ideas of their own, or volunteer to perform any
> positive actions on this organization's behalf.  As they say, "talk is
> cheap."  And so far that seems to all we are doing.  Once we have a new
> Panel elected, members who are willing to make a difference by actually
> producing something should stand up and be counted.  Those who aren't
> willing to do anything other than denegrate others' ideas without providing
> substantive alternatives, or feel the need to get in off-topic personal
> attack sessions with other members, should consider moving to another
> playground!  The adults here have real work to do!

The very cheapness of talk is probably one of the factors that have driven
good folks away from this mailing list.  This is an unmoderated list.  And it
*should not be,* given the real tasks yet to be done, that you listed
elsewhere in your post.  I strongly suggest that you, Eric, and Jefsey
contact Thomas Roessler - whom I perceive as a sober, responsible person -
without delay, and ask him what it would take to convert this list into a
moderated one.  Not that the conversion should take place prior to the
elections, nor for that matter afterwards if the elected Panel decides among
themselves that the sort of unregulated free-for-all we are accustomed to is
still tolerable to the membership.  In fact, that should be one of the poll
questions presented to the membership, to permit their preferences to be
known.  But I personally would like to see that conversion take place as soon
as is democratically practicable.