Re: [atlarge-discuss] Thawte certificate... WoT

At 09:01 a.m. 28/04/2003, Ron Sherwood wrote:

All we are asking is for proof that the named person exists.
Agree. Plus some sort of verification that the same person does not appear in our organization under another name.
It is an old trick for a lone saboteur to multiply himself in mailing lists, second his own motions or double or triple the junk-postings.

It is not fool
proof and it certainly does not preclude a person having multiple accounts
in different names (or multiple Thawte certificates for that matter) but it
should be close enough for our needs.
I agree. And I also think that an elected membership committee should have discretion in accepting whatever unique method of identification a member can present.

With regards to Thawte, what surprises me is that no-one has brought up that this company is now 100% owned by Verisign.

Did you not know that, Sotiris?

-joop-