RE: [atlarge-discuss] Is This The Party To Whom I Am Speaking...

Jeff Williams wrote:

|    This is true Bruce, but does not and did not apply any longer
|  or further when the Panel was devolved or otherwise done
|  away with via the poll that Joop took and a representative sample
|  of the members voted in favor to remove that Panel in favor of electing
|  a new panel.

Joop's poll engaged less than 10% of the membership, was conducted outside
the official auspices of this organization without prior coordination, was
conducted without oversight, used questions that were heavily weighted to
Joop's way of thinking and not reviewed by anyone prior to asking them.
Further, the poll was not announced to the membership as a whole in advance,
so that all members had the option to participate!  As a result, the only
members participating were those who were already gravitating to his forum
anyway.  That is like polling the preacher and the choir during choir
practice, then saying that this poll indicates the will of the whole
congregation!  It was a flawed sample.

Currently, the only method of determining the will of the membership is to
ask them.  That is what we are doing.  God forbid we ever allow a
so-called "representative sample" chosen in this manner to be used to set
policy for this organization!

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info