Re: [atlarge-discuss] Philippines question

Daniel and all fellow members,

Daniel R. Tobias wrote:

> Since I believe from earlier discussion there's at least one person
> on this list who's in the Philippines, I'd like you to check
> something for me.  I have a report that the GoDaddy domain registrar
> has blocked all access to its site from the Philippines, to the
> consternation of domain registrants who live there and find
> themselves unable to access their accounts.  This appears to be
> breach of contract on the part of GoDaddy (at least with regard to
> blocking access from existing registrants; refusing to take new
> registrations from there would be legal though still discriminatory).
> Perhaps ICANN ought to take action against them for this.

  ICANN is not going to take any legal action against anybody,
least of all one of it's own created Registrars.

> Anyway, can any Philippine members try this URL:
> http://registrar.godaddy.com/
> to verify that it is in fact blocked?

  I can log in on my accounting the Phillipines and find out
pretty quick.  Would that suffice for you?

> Yet another stupid blockage: Stargate blocks access to their site
> from MacOS computers, though it works fine from Windows based
> systems. I've verified this myself; on a PC I can get to their site
> with Mozilla, Opera, Lynx, and MSIE, but from a Mac I get redirected
> to a page saying that their system doesn't work with MacOS.  That's
> totally ridiculous; the Web is cross-platform except when developers
> go to great lengths to stop it from being so.  Does this break any
> ICANN rules by preventing registrants with only a Mac from getting to
> their accounts?  Anyway, if you want to test it, their site is at:
> http://www.stargate.com/
> (which actually redirects to stargateinc.com, which they're still
> using in all their actual URLs and email addresses, despite calling
> themselves "Stargate.com" [haven't they heard that putting dot-com in
> a company name is SO '90s???] for branding purposes.  Thus,
> ridiculously, the address of stargate.com is stargateinc.com
> [bringing to mind the old joke "What's the number of 911?"].)
>
> If I were ICANN, I'd threaten to revoke the accreditation of both
> GoDaddy and Stargate unless they ensured access by all their current
> registrants regardless of country of residence or operating system.

  Well ICANN is not likely ever to do this.  It is not in ICANN's
best financial interest to do so.  And this has been suggested
before with respect to other registrars as well see the
archives of the DNSO GA list for further details.

> --
> == Dan ==
> Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
> Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dan.info/