Micheal Sherrill

From: "MPoole" <urgen@charter.net>
Date:  Tue, 3 Jun 2003 00:05:53 -0700

Oh boy, I'm dating myself here, by responding to email that is beginning to
collect dust.

If there was someone that needed an SMTP interface to IRC we would be more
than happy to bend as far as possible to make it work, right?  Isn't that
the point?  Right tool for the job.  If it doesn't exist, invent it.  This
is the Internet after all.

I can understand a concern for doing business outside of public venue but
that only goes back to addressing the issue that is resisting definition,
i.e. membership.  Bootstrapping requires a minimum set of components be in
place at the time of initialization.  We need some volunteers to help
explore that minimum set and I was just suggesting a free and easy way to
establish that definition of participation as "join the channel and you are
in."  If you still want to help but can't arrive at that level of
contribution or are just simply restricted by time zone centric hurdles then
we'll work around it.

The digital divide will create the gap that stops the vehicle, is it the gap
or the vehicle that is the focus?  If the vehicle can help close the gap
then there isn't any problem.  Email creates as many gaps as it closes just
saying that it is one of the most common methods of exchange to date only
describes the limits of the tools at hand not the capacity of the exchange.
IRC works great at 300 baud.

MPoole
sorry for not signing my last post.