RE: [atlarge-discuss] Membership Issues and an Invitation to IRC -- was Membership fees

Mark Poole wrote

| Toward that goal I have dedicated an IRC server for
| interim use until something  more solid takes its .
| place

I have no objection to members using IRC.  However, for myself I have the
same limitations regarding IRC use that I do for a Web-based forum, in that
I can only access it from home.  My employer specifically forbids us to use
company systems for personal message traffic or Web browsing, and monitors
for compliance.  They have also blocked access to IRC and newsgroups.  They
even blocked port 21 so we can't FTP!.  So, as I'm doing today, most of my
mail reading is done offline, and transmitted from home when I get there.
And since I spend so little time at home these days, online systems, be they
Web-based, IRC, IM, etc., have limited utility for me.

However, I am a firm believer in accomodating everyone, so I consider
standing up multiple communications forums to be a *good* thing, and applaud
your effort.  We just need to make sure conversations of import there are
mirrored in our other forums.

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon, USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info