Re: [atlarge-discuss] Notice of Inquiry For Comment...

Walter Schmidt wrote:

>  Broadband Over Power Lines: Federal Communications Commission
> (wcs-abridged)
>    The FCC issued a Notice of Inquiry (NOI) seeking public comment on
> using existing electrical power lines to provide Internet and broadband
> services. The FCC hopes that developments in power-line designs will
> enable broadband over power line (BPL) to be a means for "last mile"
> delivery of broadband services, particularly to rural and remote areas.
> While this NOI focuses on the current state, regulatory battles are sure
> to follow.
>
> The NOI can be accessed at:
>    http://www.regulations.gov/freddocs/03-12914.htm

Walter, some time ago Joop suggested that we position ourselves to respond
during the public comment period whenever ICANN posts a notice similar to
this.  (Of course, this is an FCC, rather than an ICANN, notice but the
principle is the same.)  I supported the suggestion as it applied to ICANN,
but mentioned that it couldn't happen of its own accord.  Someone, or some
committee, would have to devote time to making it work at an organizational
level.

For now, individuals are free to comment as they see fit, as I have done
occasionally.  But I acknowledge that an organizational voice would carry
more weight.  Once we are organized and have our priorities set, we ought to
consider doing this.