RE: [atlarge-discuss] ICANNAtlarge trademark infringement (was LET'S GET GOING: Determining a Chair forthePanel)

Joop Teernstra wrote:

|  I would like to hear the details. Who were the "lawyers"?  All I
|  have seen was an uncharacteristic posting from John Berryhill.
|  Was there more?

John was the one who started the whole thing on the GA list, and I remember
James Tyre being concerned, although claiming that it was less cut and dried
than John claimed.  However I remember at least two others on the GA list
that chimed in claiming gloom and doom. Don't ask me for their names though:
I don't archive any GA messages.  I can see if I archived anything on this
is you like.

|  Is the fear of being sued so strong in the US that people with a
|  just and strong case can be intimidated simply because
|  they cannot afford a defence?

Often, yes.  But as I said, Joanna had much more to lose, due to her
immigration statuis.

|  Are there not penalties awarded for frivolous lawsuits?

Sure.  And lawyers for that cost money, too!

Bruce Young
Portland, Oregon USA
bruce@barelyadequate.info
http://www.barelyadequate.info