From: panel-admin@mailman.icannatlarge.org
[mailto:panel-admin@mailman.icannatlarge.org] On Behalf Of Abel Wisman
Sent: 16 June 2003 14:44
To: panel@mailman.icannatlarge.org
Subject: [Panel] On the creation of committees or workgroups

In order to get things moving beyond organizing ourselves as a panel and
to get to the stage where this organization can be of some value it
would perhaps be a good idea to (with the idea of facilitating in mind)
be a good idea to start (besides web-comm/ webmaster ) a few workgroups
to see how fast we can achieve the things we had set out to achieve.

Considering the fact that this organization has no by-laws, a comm on
that would be a first priority in my opinion. All other comms such as
DNS and WHOIS, ALAC/ICANN-relations, OUTREACH and more have importance
and could use support.

I would for now however like to emphasize the by-laws.

Serveral attempts were made untill now:

Hans Klein 1st draft:
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-panel/0210/msg00248.html
Comments from Jamie Love
http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-panel/0210/msg00254.html
Michael Geist draft http://www.fitug.de/atlarge-panel/0211/msg00051.html
And more recent postings:

http://www.icannia.org/bylaws.htm
http://www.icannatlarge.co.uk/draftbylaws.htm

Besides that we have "some" rules in place that were put there by
previous panel(s), though they are certainly not set in stone.

Though I have some ideas on how to proceed with this I would not like to
burden any committee/workgroup with set-rules upfront. I would however
dearly like to see several options for members to vote upon

Having by-laws in place makes it easier to incorporate as well, but I
see democraticly constructed by-laws as a first priority, the
incorporation would simply have to fit the by-laws of this organization
and not vice versa. Once by-laws are voted in place, we can then do a
comparison of incorporation options in conjunction with our by-laws and
again propose options to the members.

Perhaps we can initiate a motion to organize said committee/workgroup?

If we are afraid that "organizing" the committee and having them agree
on a work-method might take longer then the actual composure of those
by-laws we "can" add a lay-out for work to that committee, on which we
can of course discuss.

Kind regards

Abel