Re: [atlarge-discuss] Bill aims to curb Net censorship

Good morning, Jan:

In the world of government double speak, (where going to war is called a
peace mission), to place an "anti-censorship" initiative in the hands of the
Department of Propaganda is an unusually overt action.

Where the statement reads that the mission is to prevent "censoring or
restricting Internet access of their citizens"  one should read "prevent
censoring or restricting access to U.S. propaganda delivered via the
Internet ".

Surely the government could have been less obvious in their intent..... By
making the project part of an MoU with ICANN, perhaps?  :)

By the way, will this "anti-censorship" initiative stop legislation
censoring the posting of "information potentially helpful to terrorists"
(bomb-making techniques, for example) on the Internet? Or, the legislation
that will require all librarians to facilitate government access to records
of what U.S. citizens read and what websites they access from library
computers?

Ron