[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[FYI] Movie Mogul Horror
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: [FYI] Movie Mogul Horror
- From: Kristian Köhntopp <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:24:15 +0100
- >Received: from koehntopp.de (valiant.koehntopp.de [184.108.40.206])by white.koehntopp.de (8.9.3/8.9.3/SuSE Linux 8.9.3-0.1) with ESMTP id JAA06318for <firstname.lastname@example.org>; Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:22:31 +0100
- Comment: This message comes from the debate mailing list.
- Organization: Pinguin an Bord.
- Sender: email@example.com
Mogul Movie Horror
Can law halt Web cracking of DVD code?
By Thomas Scheffey
The Connecticut Law Tribune
March 21, 2000
Eight of the nation's major movie studios, battling
the spread of a computer program which removes
DVD copy-protection, have the creator of a Norwalk,
Conn. computer hacking Web site in their
Paramount, Disney, Columbia Pictures, 20th
Century Fox, MGM, Tri-Star and Time-Warner are
joining in a concerted Hartford, Conn. federal court
action, Universal City Studios, Inc. v. Jeraimee
Hughes, to keep the Web site designer from offering
downloads of a recently-discovered "key" to the
DVD technology has grown to a million-per-week
sale of more than 4,000 movie titles. It could be the
successor technology to the popular VHS tapes that
are currently the bulk of the home movie market.
Unlike magnetic VHS tapes, copies of digital
variable discs can be as crisp and clear as the
originals -- which makes the threat of widespread
piracy all the more serious, in the movie industry's
The quick-to-download free program that
unscrambles DVD's protective Content Scramble
System is known as deCSS. Its author, a 15-year-old
Norwegian, Jon Johansen, said he and two Internet
collaborators in Holland and Germany only wanted
to be able to play DVD movies on their Linux-based
computers. Johansen released it on the World Wide
Web last summer.
Kristian Koehntopp, Knooper Weg 46, 24103 Kiel, +49 170 2231 811
"Du haeltst Dich fest/an Dingen die nichts wert sind/ an Dingen, die Du
nicht brauchst/Ich habe vor/Dir etwas besseres zu geben/in meinen
ist ein besseres Leben." -- Die Antwort, "Durch die Adern meiner Haut"