[FYI] Support/scepticism on cybercrime proposal

http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/article.html?id=26

Support, Skepticism greet Cybercrime Treaty

   Proposal would help international investigations. Critics ask, what's
   the price?
   By Kevin Poulsen
   May 3, 2000 1:37 PM PT

   Industry sources are offering qualified support for a proposed
   international treaty on computer crime, as it raises eyebrows with
   civil rights advocates.
   "We're cautiously optimistic about the potential for this," said
   Douglas Sabo, Director of Information Security Programs with the
   Information Technology Association of America. "We believe strongly
   that these issues need to be discussed internationally."
   "Computer crime crosses borders, and so you need to have at least the
   same basic principals in recognizing what is computer crime, and how
   do you obtain evidence across nations," said Mark Rasch, an attorney
   with Virginia-based Global Integrity. "I think it's a good step. It
   wisely avoids the controversial subjects like encryption, mandatory
   data storage, and mandatory cooperation with government."
   'People who put hacker software up on web sites would be in violation,
   but only if they had the intent that it be used for criminal purposes'
   -- Mark Rasch, Global Integrity
   David Banisar, an attorney and electronic privacy advocate, disagrees.
   "Most of the stuff in here is already existing in U.S. law,"
   acknowledged Banisar. "But the treaty would appear to put new burdens
   on ISPs to collect information on users and to provide that to law
   enforcement."

ralf
--
http://ME.IN-berlin.de/~rws/
No link accessible from this link should be construed as an endorsement of