[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[FYI] (Fwd) House commerce committee votes to ban radio-decryption g
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: [FYI] (Fwd) House commerce committee votes to ban radio-decryption g
- From: "Axel H Horns" <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 08:59:41 +0100
- CC: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Comment: This message comes from the debate mailing list.
- Organization: PA Axel H Horns
- Reply-to: email@example.com
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
------- Forwarded message follows -------
Date sent: Wed, 17 May 2000 22:14:53 -0400
From: Declan McCullagh <email@example.com>
Subject: House commerce committee votes to ban radio-decryption gear
House Reps Ban Wireless Decoding
by Declan McCullagh (firstname.lastname@example.org)
3:30 p.m. May. 17, 2000 PDT
WASHINGTON -- Americans may no longer buy radio receivers that decode
PCS cellular or pager transmissions, a House panel said Wednesday.
The House Commerce Committee also voted to make it a crime to sell
electronic gadgets that can "decode encrypted radio transmissions for
the purposes of unauthorized interception."
The criminal penalties, which were attached to a tax harmonization
bill, expand existing law, which already bans the sale of devices that
can intercept analog cellular conversations.
------- End of forwarded message -------