[EURO-LEX] Internet and French law (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 15:47:53 +0200
From: marisa fernandez esteban <marisa.fernandez@uam.es>
To: EURO-LEX@LISTSERV.GMD.DE
Subject: [EURO-LEX] Internet and French law

Dear all,

I have read two very recent  French cases with opposed results.

First one is

Tribunal de Grande Instance de Nanterre, 1st Chamber May 24, 2000, UEFJ c/
Multimania Production http://www.juriscom.net/jurisfr/multimania.htm
 ruled that Multimania (a compagny hosting sites = a kind of french
Geocities) could not be held liable for having hosted a nazi site.

The second one is
Tribunal de Grande Instance de Paris May 22, 2000, UEJF et Licra c/ Yahoo !
Inc. et Yahoo France, http://www.juriscom.net/jurisfr/yahoo.htm#texte
which  issued a
preliminary injuction against Yahoo! : the judge asked Yahoo! to forbid the
access of the nazi auctions in Yahoo! Auctions. the exhibition of nazi stuff
is forbiden in France.

Could someone explain  to me how come that these two sentences were adopted
within 2 days?

Thanks in advance

Marisa Fernandez

 Marisa Fernandez Esteban