[FYI] Disney CEO Derides Internet Piracy

http://www.dvdfile.com/editorial/2000/06/07/-----/0326-1048-Disney-Internet..html

----snip----------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

Disney CEO Derides Internet Piracy

WASHINGTON (AP) - Disney CEO Michael Eisner is urging Congress to
strengthen copyright protection on the World Wide Web, calling In-
ternet piracy ``the most devastating thing that's happened to the
entertainment industry in 75 years.''

Musicians are already being victimized by illegal copying and down-

With faster computers and Internet connections being developed,
``movies will be next,'' he said. ``Soon it will be possible to
transmit perfect copies ... around the globe without our knowledge,
participation or consent.''

But Disney does not want to risk the loss of its movies and other
intellectual properties to Internet pirates who can crack DVD com-
puter codes and upload and distribute the company's property without
paying a penny, Eisner told Congress's Joint Economic Committee.

Initially, Disney planned to put out ``Snow White'' in the fall of
2001 on a DVD, Eisner told the committee's high-tech summit, ``Remo-
ving Barriers to the New Economy.'' But now, he said, ``We are con-
sidering not doing that because once we've done that, if there is
no (Internet) protection, that property - which is one of the back-
bones of our company - is gone forever.''

[...]

Movies are quickly moving toward computer digitalization, making
Internet security important to studios.

Lucasfilm Ltd.'s ``Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace''
became the first film to be digitally projected last year. And on
Tuesday, Twentieth Century Fox beamed its animated sci-fi film
``Titan A.E.'' from Burbank, Calif., over the Internet to a digital
projector in Atlanta, with the company saying it is the first times
a Hollywood studio has distributed a film to a digital theater over
the Internet.

People who download copyrighted material off the Internet like music
and movies are criminals, Eisner said. ``There's no way around it.
Theft is theft, whether it's aided by a handgun or by a computer
keyboard,'' he said.

In a later talk with lawmakers, Eisner suggested Congress force
computer companies and Internet service providers to recognize
copyrighted materials by blocking users' ability to download for
free while studios try to come up with anti-duplication technology.

The technology companies won't do it voluntarily, he said.

``We intend to continue to pour resources into the Internet but not
if this requires surrendering the rights to things we own,'' Eisner
said.

 On the Net: Disney: http://www.disney.com Congress's Joint
   Economic Committee: http://jec.senate.gov/hightech.htm

MfG