[FYI] (Fwd) Fwd: Cyber Victory! 3rd Circuit Strikes Down "CDA 2"

Date sent:      	Thu, 22 Jun 2000 19:33:26 -0400
From:           	David Sobel <sobel@epic.org>
Subject:        	Fwd: Cyber Victory! 3rd Circuit Strikes Down "CDA 2"
To:             	gilc-plan@gilc.org
Send reply to:  	gilc-plan@gilc.org

FYI:

>Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 18:44:15 -0400
>From: Emily Whitfield <EWhitfield@aclu.org>
>Subject: Cyber Victory! 3rd Circuit Strikes Down "CDA 2"
>To: ifea-plan@ifea.net
>
>ACLU v. Reno II Victory!
>
>Appeals Court Rejects Congress' Second Attempt at Cyber-Censorship
>
>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>Thursday, June 22, 2000
>
>CONTACT:
>Emily Whitfield, ACLU (212) 549-2566 or 2666/Cell phone (917)
>686-4542 David Sobel, EPIC, (202) 483-1140
>
>PHILADELPHIA--In a unanimous decision issued late today, a federal
>appeals court here struck down as unconstitutional Congress's second
>attempt to criminalize speech on the Internet.
>
>The American Civil Liberties Union, which challenged the 1998 "Child
>Online Protection Act" on behalf of 17 groups and individuals,
>welcomed the decision and said the court's strong language should
>persuade the Justice Department and lawmakers to end wrongheaded
>attempts to regulate the unique medium of the Internet.
>
>"We are deeply gratified that the court recognized the danger this
>law represented to our clients, who faced jail time and heavy fines
>for speech that is unquestionably protected by the Constitution,"
>said Ann Beeson, one of the ACLU attorneys who argued the case before
>a three-judge panel last November.
>
>"Clearly, the court is not satisfied with Congress's efforts in this
>area,"Beeson added. "We now call on Congress and the Clinton
>Administration to close the book on this early chapter of Internet
>history and embrace free speech online as we have embraced it in
>every other significant communications medium."
>
>The so-called "Child Online Protection Act," also known as "COPA,"
>made it a federal crime to use the World Wide Web to communicate "for
>commercial purposes" material considered "harmful to minors," with
>penalties of up to $150,000 for each day of violation and up to six
>months in prison.
>
>The speech at issue today, Beeson noted, included sexual advice
>columns, discussion boards on gynecology, and websites for a
>bookstore, an art gallery, and the Philadelphia Gay News, among
>others.
>
>In its legal challenge to the Act, the ACLU said constitutional flaws
>in this law were identical to the flaws that led the Supreme Court to
>strike down the "Communications Decency Act," Congress's earlier
>attempt at Internet censorship, in a landmark 1997 ruling.
>
>In their 34-page decision, the judges today upheld a lower court
>finding that the 1998 law "imposes a burden on speech that is
>protected for adults."
>
>However, while the lower court based its finding on a variety of
>First Amendment flaws in the law, the ACLU noted, the appeals court
>today focused chiefly on the fact that it is impossible to establish
>one ecommunity standard' by which Internet speech could be governed.
>
>"Because of the peculiar geography-free nature of cyberspace," the
> [...]

. David L. Sobel, General Counsel              *   +1 202 483 1140
(tel) Electronic Privacy Information Center        *   +1 202 483 1248
(fax) 1718 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Suite 200        *   sobel@epic.org
Washington, DC 20009   USA                   *   http://www.epic.org .