[FYI] The Paris G8 summit was a grave disappointment

http://cryptome.org/g8-bust.htm

----------------------------- CUT ----------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 13:43:08 +0100 To: ukcrypto@maillist.ox.ac.uk
From: gus <i.hosein@lse.ac.uk> Subject: Re: Observer Front Page:
Police to track mobile phone users

The Paris G8 summit was a grave disappointment if we want to consider
it as 'public'.  I want to be as thorough as possible, so please
excuse the length of this email.

Attendees?  Industry and government.  That was all.  That was the
mandate; when I protested to my own delegation (I managed to squeeze
myself in to another country's delegation) about the lack of the
'other', I was quickly quietened down by a response: "This is the
first time we have actually invited outside people, and it was
decided to be industry."  My colleagues raised this point at every
occasion we could, and it was alarmingly ignored.

[...]