[FYI] (Fwd) FC: California considers remote laser kill switches for cars

Date sent:      	Wed, 13 Sep 2000 00:54:51 -0400
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
Copies to:      	ptrei@rsasecurity.com
Subject:        	FC: California considers remote laser kill switches for cars
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

What an amazingly awful idea. A quick read of the bill says you can't
remove this "encrypted laser activated shutoff device" from your own
car upon penalty of two months in jail. The description of what
California is considering is: "An electronic or electromechanical
device, including, but not limited to, one or more computer chips that
are installed either in, or functions in conjunction with, an
automobile's onboard electronics system or fuel system, or both the
electronics system and fuel systems."

Does anyone think that this will work flawlessly?

Even if it does, the privacy issues are worrisome enough. It would, as
Peter points out in this cypherpunks thread below, allow random
inspections by cops: "Upon demand of a peace officer, every person who
drives a motor vehicle that is subject to a pursuit intervention
termination management system requirement under any provision of law
shall allow an inspection of the pursuit intervention termination
management system to determine that it is installed and functioning
properly."

The bill:
http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/bill/sen/sb_2001-2050/sb_2004_bill_20000504
_amended_\sen.html