[FYI] (Fwd) URGENT:Library provisions under attack in the Copyright

From:           	"Teresa Hackett" <eblida@nblc.nl>
To:             	ecup-list@kaapeli.fi
Date sent:      	Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:22:15 +0100
Subject:        	URGENT:Library provisions under attack in the Copyright
Send reply to:  	eblida@nblc.nl
Send reply to:  	ecup-list@kaapeli.fi

To EBLIDA lists and members

Dear friends and colleagues,

I returned yesterday from the European Parliament in Strasbourg.
The Common Position of the draft EU copyright directive is
currently at the European Parliament for the second reading. The
Legal Affairs Committee put forward their own amendments to the
text on Wednesday and these will be put to a vote on 30 January.
This is the text that will then go forward for a vote by the whole
European Parliament 12-15 February.

ALMOST 200 AMENDMENTS HAVE BEEN TABLED, MANY OF   THEM ATTACK THE
LIBRARY PROVISIONS.
It is very important that the Legal Affairs Committee do not accept
these amendments. We must persuade the 70 members (35   permanent and
35 substitutes) to reject them. Otherwise, the   whole Common
Position is in danger of collapsing.
The main amendments which concern libraries are to link "fair
compensation" to all the exceptions and to limit the right of a
library to make reproductions to archive and conservation purposes
only (Article 5.2c) as it was in the first reading. There are also
attacks on the private copying provision.

EBLIDA is working with EFPICC (www.efpicc.org) to evaluate the
amendments, draw up a voting list, meet with MEPs, talk to   Council
representatives and prepare press releases.

I plan to organise a library email/fax campaign to the Legal Affairs
 Committee - I will circulate a text on Monday. I would urge you to
translate this into your national languages for added impact.

I would urge you to contact your national MEPs, especially those   on
the Legal Affairs Committee:
http://www.europarl.eu.int/committees/juri_home.htm.

Let's make sure that this doesn't succeed!
If you need further information, I'll be glad to take your call.

Best wishes
Teresa
19/1/2001

Teresa Hackett, Director