[FYI] (Fwd) Wired: Echelon Furor Ends in a Whimper

From:           	Owen Blacker <owen.blacker@wheel.co.uk>
To:             	"UK Crypto list (E-mail)" <ukcrypto@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Subject:        	Wired: Echelon Furor Ends in a Whimper
Date sent:      	Thu, 5 Jul 2001 10:16:56 +0100
Send reply to:  	ukcrypto@chiark.greenend.org.uk

| Echelon Furor Ends in a Whimper
| By Steve Kettmann <kettmann@aol.com>
| 3:00 p.m. July 3, 2001 PDT
|
| STRASBOURG, France -- In the end, a year of hard work boils down to
this: | Echelon exists and the Europeans don't like it, but there
isn't much they | can do except wring their hands in impotent fury as
the Americans | continue spying on whomever they please. | | The
resolution approved Tuesday by a European Parliament committee set up
| to investigate the satellite-based surveillance system condemned |
Echelon's existence but, aside from agreeing to step up meaningful |
rhetorical pressure on the Americans, achieved very little. | | The
committee officially wrapped up its inquiry late Tuesday by passing |
more than 60 of 160 amendments before approving the entire resolution,
| 27 to 5. There were two abstentions. | | Some of the amendments
sought to add a harder edge to the language of | committee head
Gerhard Schmid of Germany, whose 113-page report was | hailed for its
balance and fairness, which is often politician-speak for | blandness.
| | Giuseppe di Lello Finuoli of Italy, one of three vice chairmen,
protested | that the committee's emphasis on legalisms would not
prevent Europeans | from having their e-mail, faxes and phone
conversations monitored by nosy | Americans, along with their
English-speaking partners, England, | Australia, New Zealand and
Canada. | | Di Lello Finuoli believes the system widely known as
Echelon -- which | Schmid's report says may or may not be accurate --
will continue to | operate with impunity. | | "That failure to protect
European citizens will have been endorsed by the | failure to take
action," Di Lello Finuoli said through the official | translator. | |
"Everything will continue on as it has in the past. It is possible to
| conduct espionage from one country of the European Union on another
| without any consequences. This group has done some very good work,
but I | think the mountain has given birth to a mouse." | | That's how
his remarks were translated, at any rate. | | Schmid defended his
support of European investment in decryption, not | just encryption,
which some critics see as de facto acknowledgement that | Europe has
its own plans for an Echelon-type system. Then he hurried out | of the
meeting room, waving off questions and saying his comments would |
come at a press conference scheduled for Wednesday morning. | |
Nevertheless, committee chairman Carlos Coelho pronounced the year
long | inquiry a success, saying that given the parliament's diverse |
constituency -- one with a legendary reputation for fractiousness and
| squabbling -- he was pleased by the level of consensus. | | "I don't
think any of the amendments we approved was anything quite |
different," Coelho said. "But there are more references to the United
| States than what was in the draft." | | For example, Amendment No
105 "Calls on the Member States to negotiate | with the USA a Code of
Conduct similar to that of the EU." | | Not exactly the kind of tough
talk expected to cow the Bush | administration, but it may have some
symbolic value if the full European | Parliament | approves the
committee's resolution in September. | | Then there's Amendment No 94,
stating that the committee "regards it as | essential that an
agreement should be ... signed between the European | Union and the
United States stipulating that each ... should observe ... | the
provisions governing the protection of the citizens and the |
confidentiality of business communications applicable to its own
citizens | and firms...."   | | In other words, knock off the
industrial espionage, Yank. | | That expands on previous language
urging the UN secretary general to push | for Article 17 of the
International Covenant on Civil and Political | Rights to be updated
so that it "guarantees the protection of privacy, | into line with
technical innovations." Article 17 also calls upon the | United States
to sign this "Additional Protocol," so that individuals can | submit
complaints to the Human Rights Committee set up under the | covenant.
 | | Language was also added referring to "authoritative sources"
confirming a | US congressional report which estimated that economic
intelligence | funneled from the government could give US companies up
to $7 billion in | added contracts. | | Damning stuff, at least
compared with the cautious tone taken by Schmid | in his report, or
even in the amendments he offered Tuesday, all of which | were passed.
| | One of Schmid's seven amendments, for example, noted that "the US
| intelligence services do not merely investigate general economic
facts | but also intercept detailed communications between
undertakings, | particularly where contracts are being awarded, and
they justify this on | the grounds of combating attempted bribery....
(This) detailed | interception poses the risk that information may be
used for the purpose | of competitive intelligence- gathering rather
than combating corruption, | even though the US and the United Kingdom
state that they do not do so." | | This focus on industrial espionage
reflects the general thinking of many | in the European Parliament
that the threat to commerce is as much a | concern as potential
violations of individual privacy rights. But it was | criticized by
some committee members, at times quite fiercely. | | "We are being
completely hypocritical," said Alain M Krivine of France. | "All
countries are engaged in political and (industrial) espionage. It is |
just a question of power, and the United States has the most power. It
is | part and parcel of globalization. However, the United States are
not the | only ones who are promoting capitalism this way." | |
Copyright © 1994-2001 Wired Digital Inc. All rights reserved. |
<http://hotwired.lycos.com/home/copyright.html>

- - --
Owen Blacker
Senior Software Developer / InfoSec Consultant    Wheel: Clerkenwell
See http://www.owens-place.org.uk/pgp.html -- more about my PGP keys
Sig  0x00036874 | d39f b776 fa20 c125 b0e2  aa6d 555e 4126 0003 6874

This message has been checked for all known viruses by UUNET delivered
through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre. For further information
visit http://www.uk.uu.net/products/security/virus/