[FYI] (Fwd) FC: Frank Sudia's anti-crypto stand: Razor blade genie is out of the bottle

Date sent:      	Mon, 24 Sep 2001 01:06:25 -0400
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:        	FC: Frank Sudia's anti-crypto stand: Razor blade genie is out of
 	bottle
Copies to:      	frank@sudialab.com
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

[Anti-strong, nonescrowed crypto, at least. There's never enough space
in Subject: lines. Previous messages:
http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=sudia --DBM]

**********

From: "Frank Sudia" <frank@sudialab.com>
To: "Carl Ellison" <cme@acm.org>
Cc: "Declan McCullagh" <declan@well.com>
Subject: The Razor Blade Genie is Out of the Bottle
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 14:37:55 -0700

 > I was talking about the nature of strong cryptography itself and >
 the reasons that it is ubiquitous and can not be controlled.  I >
 notice that you chose not to address that issue, so I am forced > to
 assume you cannot.

Carl,

It is ludicrous to argue that because crypto is widely available it
cannot (or should not) be regulated.  Razor blades and box cutters are
also widely available, and in fact it is easy to make sharp
instruments by grinding pieces of metal.  Basement factories would be
trivial to set up.  This does not mean we cannot outlaw assault,
robbery, or other crimes committed using such weapons.

As I make more clear in today's edits (not a lot new) as a matter of
control systems theory, ALL your freedoms that are worth anything are
100% derived from the presence of a strong and effective government,
to enforce them against your local warlord.  To impede reasonable law
enforcement and investigation is an "insult," in the medical sense, to
our government.  This was certainly grasped in the 1600s (think 30
Years War), but has been forgotten by those blinded by the affluence
of our exuberant era.

The time sequence is (1) effective government formed, (2) meaningful
guarantees of liberty go into effect.  If reverse the time ordering,
you wind up with nothing.

The legislative power of the people (not me, the crypto guys are the
megalo maniacs) could disable every existing copy of PGP.  However
until you decide that you are on the side of preserving civilization,
I see little benefit to be gained from public discussion of this and
many other potentially effective measures.  Not just you, but everyone
it seems, is in denial about just how serious and fundamental of a
problem this is.

Also you might want to read de Tocqueville, where he notes that in a
democracy if you can get 51% you can go after anyone.  When you mess
around with sovereign power, it's not a walk in the park.

Declan, what about you?  Are you an objective policy analyst, or a
creature of your dot-com readership?  Feel free to repost this, with
its title intact please.

Cheers,
Frank

www.sudialab.com/sov-eppc.htm