[FYI] (Fwd) The Internet is the Cause of Terrorist Acts

Date sent:      	Sat, 15 Sep 2001 12:13:26 -0400
Send reply to:  	Law & Policy of Computer Communications
             	<CYBERIA-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
From:           	Mike Godwin <mnemonic@WELL.COM>
Subject:        	The Internet is the Cause of Terrorist Acts
To:             	CYBERIA-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM

The House of Lords is helpfully explaining the connection between the
Internet and terrorism.

--Mike

  http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/ld199900/ldhans
  rd/pdvn/lds01/text/10914-03.htm Lord Howell of Guildford: ... The
  new reality which some people are beginning to face and some of us
  have argued about over the past five or six years since the age of
  information technology and the Internet began is that power has been
  transferred away from responsible governments or even irresponsible
  governments into the hands of some good but some extremely dangerous
  organisations. It may be said that flying airliners into skyscrapers
  is not new technology, but the whole organisation of this devilish
  plot was driven by e-mail, Internet, modern secret communication,
  coding and ciphering of a kind which would not have been possible 10
  or even five years ago. It enabled these people simply to programme
  their aeroplanes, once they had seized them, to drive straight into
  the World Trade Centre. So technology has transferred power and the
  sooner democracies and governments understand that point the sooner
  we shall be able to cope with the entirely new situation
"I speak the password primeval .... I give the sign of democracy ...."
            --Walt Whitman
Mike Godwin can be reached by phone at 202-637-9800
His book, CYBER RIGHTS, can be ordered at
        http://www.panix.com/~mnemonic .