[FYI] (Fwd) Senate votes to permit warrantless Net-wiretaps, Carnivore use

Date sent:      	Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:19:30 -0400
To:             	cryptography@wasabisystems.com
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:        	Senate votes to permit warrantless Net-wiretaps, Carnivore use

May be relevant, given the new focus in DC on restricting privacy and
crypto...

Text of the Hatch-Feinstein "Combating Terrorism Act of 2001":
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cta.091401.html

Discussion of the CTA:
http://www.fas.org/sgp/congress/2001/s091301.html

-Declan

********

    Senate OKs FBI Net Spying
    By Declan McCullagh (declan@wired.com)
    12:55 p.m. Sep. 14, 2001 PDT

    WASHINGTON -- FBI agents soon may be able to spy on Internet users
    legally without a court order.

    On Thursday evening, two days after the worst terrorist attack in
    U.S. history, the Senate approved the "Combating Terrorism Act of
    2001," which enhances police wiretap powers and permits monitoring
    in more situations.

    The measure, proposed by Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) and Dianne Feinstein
    (D-California), says any U.S. attorney or state attorney general
    can order the installation of the FBI's Carnivore surveillance
    system. Previously, there were stiffer restrictions on Carnivore
    and other Internet surveillance techniques.

    Its bipartisan sponsors argue that such laws are necessary to
    thwart terrorism. "It is essential that we give our law
    enforcement authorities every possible tool to search out and
    bring to justice those individuals who have brought such
    indiscriminate death into our backyard," Hatch said during the
    debate on the Senate floor.

    [...]