[FYI] Zero-Knowledge Announcement

http://www.freedom.net/prem.html

------------------------------- CUT ------------------------------

Zero-Knowledge Announcement

October 4, 2001 IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FOR USERS OF FREEDOM PREMIUM
SERVICES

Dear Freedom Premium Services Customer,

Zero-Knowledge is introducing Freedom Privacy & Security Tools 3.0,
the next generation of its online security software for consumers.
This new software includes a personal firewall, form filler/password
manager, ad manager, cookie manager and keyword alert. As a result,
we have decided to focus our main development efforts on this product
as well as other software solutions providing online security.

As such, I regret to inform you that Freedom Premium Services -
Anonymous Web Browsing and Private Encrypted Email - will be
discontinued as of October 22nd, 2001. Please refer to the detailed
Freedom Network shutdown timetable below.

This decision was not taken lightly. It reflects the ongoing high
cost and limited returns of operating the Freedom Network - the
engine that drives the encryption and anonymity process. This is
especially true since our customers and partners increasingly choose
to purchase ready-to-use solutions that provide security and safety
online - such as personal firewall, password manager and keyword
alert - rather than nym-based services.

For the past two years we have worked very hard to develop and
maintain a sustainable private network and we thank you for all your
support of our endeavor.. We share your disappointment and we
apologize for the impact this decision will have on your online
activities.

We deeply regret that we are unable to maintain the Freedom Network
and we wish to thank you for your loyalty and for your understanding
of this difficult decision we had to make.

Please see below the timetable for shutting down the Freedom Network
and the Refund Policy for Premium Services customers.

Sincerely,

Hamnett Hill EVP, COO

Freedom Network Shutdown Timetable Refund Policy - Freedom Premium
Service

FREEDOM NETWORK SHUTDOWN TIMETABLE

October 11th, 2001 Partial Freedom Network shutdown: the majority of
the Freedom servers will be taken offline.

Freedom nym mailboxes will not accept any more incoming mail as of
October 11th, 2001 You will still be able to retrieve mail sent to
your nym mailboxes prior to October 11th, but only until October
22nd, 2001. However you will still be able to send mail until October
22nd, 2001. And you will still be able to browse anonymously until
October 22nd, 2001.

WARNING: During the network shutdown, there is a risk that the
identity of your nym(s) may be compromised due to the small number of
Freedom servers available on the network. For detailed information on
the Freedom Privacy Services threat model please click here.

October 22nd, 2001 Complete Freedom Network shutdown: all the Freedom
servers will be taken offline.

You will no longer be able to browse anonymously or, send and receive
nym mail.

Recommendations

You may want to contact your friends, family and colleagues (or
anyone that knows your nym names) and let them know that your email
address will no longer accept mail as of October 11th, 2001. We
recommend that you contact them as soon as possible, starting today,
so that you can receive their responses before the incoming mail
functionality is shut down. Please note that there will be no option
of forwarding (redirecting) of any mail sent to your nyms. All mail
sent to your nym(s) after October 11th, 2001, will bounce and be
returned to the sender. Please note that due to a diminished number
of servers on the Freedom network, it may at times be difficult to
download your nym mail. Should this be the case, please repeat your
attempt multiple times and at off-peak hours. For further information
please click here.

[...]